Thursday, April 10, 2014

An Almost Forgotten Resurrection

Once while some Israelites were burying a man, suddenly they saw a band of raiders; so they threw the man's body into Elisha's tomb. When the body touched Elisha's bones, the man came to life and stood up on his feet. 2 Kings 13:21, NIV

"Such an incredible story,", some might say. "You can't be so credulous as to believe this old tale".

Actually, I am far more "credulous" than this. I believe the whole Word concerning Elisha. And furthermore, I believe in the total significance of resurrection. Maybe why I love the Old Testament so much is that it tells such deep truths in very simple ways.

We could look up Elisha and his powerful miracles in reference works. These might tell us of ancient beliefs and how their origins arose, also the stupid people who believed in them. We should be oh so impressed. These Godless analysts are scholars after all. We have no choice but to believe what they say.

But the ones who I would love to interview are the buryers and the dead man. The buryers could be dismissed, I suppose, as the tellers of tall tales.

But I imagine the resurrected man coming home and opening his door. His wife, cooking or hanging up some clothes, asks, "Who is it?"

"It's me, honey," he says. "You absolutely won't believe what happened to me today!"

After his wife recovers from her shock, she says, "It looks like Elisha is still doing things like he did when he was alive."

And it came to pass, when they were gone over, that Elijah said unto Elisha, Ask what I shall do for thee, before I be taken away from thee. And Elisha said, I pray thee, let a double portion of thy spirit be upon me. 2 Kings 2:9

No comments:

Post a Comment