Monday, October 29, 2012

Just One More Hug

Our class at the old folks home had concluded. I turned on my tape machine. Pomp and Circumstances began to play. I called each name so they could come forward and receive a carnation with a diploma.

"It's the first time in my life I ever received a diploma," said an older man.

I shook the hand of each man as he was handed his paper. A long, detailed, study had earned it. We had studied Daniel. Each lady got a hug. It seemed right, we had been in the study for two months and gotten to know one another.

At last a frail little lady came forward. She received her diploma and I gave her a hug. She closed her eyes. Who was she thinking of, I wondered? She stepped away. Then she came back, to hug me again. All her needs had been met at the home. But she needed another hug.

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to tell you how important your posts are. Every moment in our lives is important from the giggling we do in the summer sun at four to the days we spend in recovery from illness, or in sorrow for someone or something taken from us in this life. All of these moments are important to God and He works to ensure that we experience all that we are meant to. This said, He is always there for us. No matter where we are, how sad the circumstance seems to be, or how lonely, God is there ensuring that we are supported through this time. For this frail little woman, your hug helped to remind her that God's love is still there, and always will be. Thank you my friend, for reminding us of this.

    ReplyDelete