Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Watchtower Visit

If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed: For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds. 2 John 10,11

I was napping when my doorbell rang. A lady was stuffing literature into my door as I opened it. She was a neighbor and a Jehovah's Witness. The literature was a faux Easter invitation to honor the resurrection of Christ. Although her cult does not observe Easter, why not take advantage of the season to help pull people in?

I knew what her statements would be. I have been down this road many times before. She was hardcore. She told me her religion was strictly from the Bible in every way. I interjected that all churches and cults say this. She wilted a little at this remark but soon resumed her spiel and said that only her religion actually was Biblical.

Now, I have long had a New World translation and understood this approach. Of course her religion conforms to their translation. It is custom-designed for this.

I imagine a man with a big pot belly. He goes to a taylor and has a suit made that fits his distorted body. When advised to lose some weight, he says, "What for? My clothes fit me perfectly."

As for religions claiming they are 100% Biblical, of course they do. Think of any religion proclaiming, "Come worship with us. Join our church. After all, we depart from the scriptures in many important ways."

I hope you will forgive me for being so negative about these people, but I have had them invite themselves into a private home where we were studying the Bible and contradict what was said. Finally, the lady of the house had to show them the door.

They do not realize they are victims of classical conditioning, which is to isolate them from others, subject them to endless meetings, and disfellowship them for infractions. Reading anything that is not cult-approved is forbidden, so in most cases they are impossible to reach.

What is more offensive than people who dictate what others must believe and do?

My mother liked to feed the birds and watch them as they came to her feeders. Her Witness visitors told her that this was wrong and a waste of money. Our ancestors made some hard boat trips to escape this very sort of thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment