Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Hockey Announcers Need Not Apply

And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice. 1 Kings 19:12

"He shoots! He SCORES!"

Very exciting I am sure, especially for a sport so fast it is hard for me to follow. But I prefer the hushed voice of someone covering golf.

Recently I heard a fine inspirational-type preacher, with a good message (of that sort), trying to impress his listeners by raising his voice in both pitch and volume. Wow, if I wasn't paying attention before, I sure was now.

A preacher I knew tried speaking in a normal voice. This was before he learned that the people he was assigned to wanted to be addressed in the "key of G whiz", as he described it. To them, it was a sign that he was "in the Spirit".

We all have our preferences, but need someone speaking the Word of God yell like a used car salesman? I feel so grouchy today! But I do wish that the truth could be given in a normal tone of voice. Wisdom, not volume, is what impresses me.

No comments:

Post a Comment