Sunday, June 29, 2014

Your Grandmother Lois and Your Mother Eunice

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded now lives in you also. 2 Timothy 1:5, NIV

Your grandmother and your mother. Don't you love how Paul mentions the names of otherwise obscure people? Surely Lois and Eunice never imagined that their names would be recorded in God's Word.

In her family, my grandmother stood alone in her faith and her love of the Bible. Her only son was an athiest who married an atheist. Her two daughters were very unsure in their faith. Grandma would listen to her radio. M. R. DeHaan and his books were her guides, and a very good choice. But she studied alone, with no one to share her devotion to God. If there was ever an example for me to follow, she was it.

There was no strong male image in my life. My father, a staunch believer, was dominated by a denomination that kept people ignorant, and used them for the aquisition of money and real estate. If you were to go to a pool to drink, they were the ones who would stir up its mud with a stick before you drank.

I had many miles to travel before I could join her, or read her precious books. Soon we will go to heaven together. Then there will be no need for her books. Their author will be there with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment