Sunday, April 7, 2013

Groucho and Paul

One of you will say to me: "Then why does God still blame us? For who is able to resist his will?" Romans 9:19, NIV

I took my sister to see a Marx Brothers film festival. She laughed so hard she said she thought she would have a heart attack. The humor was sure there.

But in "A Day at the Races" Groucho told a really lame joke. People groaned. Groucho departed from the script and walked to the camera. "Look, they can't all be funny, it's just the nature of the business."

The film had a yellowish tinge. Groucho had long been dead, but it was as though he had read our minds. People grew quiet. They had just been reprimanded by a voice from the past.

Groucho understood human nature.

And long before this, the Apostle Paul anticipated our reaction to the doctrine of election. "Ooh, they got me, I think its my ego." We are wounded by this revelation in Romans. Paul knew we would be. Looks like human nature has not changed with the passage of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment