Saturday, February 2, 2013

Phebe

I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea: That ye receive her in the Lord, as becometh saints, and that ye assist her in whatsoever business she hath need of you: for she hath been a succourer of many, and of myself also.
Romans 16:1,2

What an honor to be named in the Bible. I too, wish to honor Phebe. I also want to go to her church in Cenchrea. I understand it had less than 900 people so it was not a mega-church. No sound system, maybe no choir. Think of that. It had no pipe organ and its lighting system was no doubt just some open flames.

What did they have? They had Paul's writings and presence. They had the Holy Spirit to guide them. The Bible had yet to be written, and could not be misinterpreted.

We have added so much to church doctrine that they did not have. Has it been a gain or a loss? God has all kinds of churches, and all kinds of Christians go to them. But before we all meet in heaven, I wish I could go to Phebe's church.

No comments:

Post a Comment