Monday, February 4, 2013

What Sayeth the Word?

You may hear arguments about Bible doctrines based on what God would do or should do based on the various feelings of the people in the discussions. You may have heard statements such as, "I don't want to believe in a God who would do this." Or "Would a loving God do this?"

I'm sure there are others, but the idea is the same. God should conform to our beliefs and wishes. This is kind of a "designer God"--each person can have his own. And why not? Aren't we all consumers? And isn't the customer always right? After all, I pay my money, so give me the kind of God I want!

Most of us know that this was anticipated almost two thousand years ago by Paul, when he wrote:

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. 2 Timothy 4:3.

Now this is not an admonition on my part to avoid this practice. I am only asking how much of it have you seen? Departure from the truth is a Biblical sign of the church's last days. Not false teachers are the issue, but false congregations. They want to order up doctrine as if they are at Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment