Friday, August 2, 2013

In Over My Head

Lord my heart is not haughty, nor mine eyes lofty: neither do I exercise myself in great matters, or in things too high for me...
Psalms 131:1

As a kid I thought a lot. I spent a lot of time alone so I had lots of time to think. My mother had told me about God. I tried to see him in the clouds. What did He look like? Could He see me?

I was thinking on God one day when I asked myself, if God had no beginning, how could this be? The idea of eternity hit me. This was when I realized I would never figure it out. There were things beyond our ability to understand.

It is very common to hear people talk about the mysteries of the universe. For instance, what is the origin of man? Did he come from a distant galaxy? Wow! A little college chum of mine used to say, when a professor was talking, "I don't know what he's saying, but it's deep." He caught on to overly deep things, pretentious meanderings.

As to the origin of man, try Eden, think on Eve, the mother of all living. Then their is Adam, the first man. How can you be earlier than First? I remember a comedian debunking the saying, "The early bird gets the worm." "But what if some other bird gets there before him?" He was on to something. Maybe it was the pretensions of some of us--the making of mysteries out of things that have been revealed. It is as if simple answers are looked down on.

Back in the 60's it was popular for young people to carry a little red book of the sayings of Chairman Mao. Mao had a saying, "If we all furrow our brows, the answer will be found." Of course, false reasoning is a job for some people, literally. Without giant questions that can never be solved, they would be unemployed.

I love Psalm 131. David as calm as a weaned child. I believe in knowledge, as much as you can get. Moses had "all the knowledge of the Egyptians", according to Stephen. But God put him in the desert to further his knowledge.

Furrow away, but there are some things too deep for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment