Sunday, May 11, 2014

Not All Allegories

Which things are an allegory:... Galatians 4:24

Think of a word used only once in the entire Bible. It makes you think that what precedes it and what follows is NOT an allegory, doesn't it? Yet there is a widespread practice of interpreting Bible truth in an allegorical manner. This is the modeling clay or Leggo method. "Let's see, what do I want to make today?" It is handy, depending on what you want to illustrate. You just manipulate it to make it come out that way.

A Hindu youth was attracted to the Bible because it was not written in such a way, but was literal. The literal way makes those who follow it seem rather unimaginative, though. They would prefer to reveal, in endless sermons, what the "real" meaning of the cross is. The non-literal crowd leaves you guessing, but very impressed.

I went to a college class with a very smart and comical fellow. He was like a red haired, Jewish Mickey Rooney. After a meandering lecture, he turned to me and said, "I don't know what the hell he means, but it's deep." Instead of showing the depth of the Bible, so many want to show how much they know. I am not impressed.

It is such a thrill to see the literalness of the Word--real people, and real places. I once had a class and mentioned that if you don't take the Bible literally, you miss its true meaning. The folks gasped audibly. What a shocking and novel idea.

Sure there are symbols in it. But if you look they will be explained. Symbols stand for real things, not vague ideas. These things can be learned, if you avoid the experts, and let the Word, teach the Word.

1 comment:

  1. When I was a child, I didn't understand much of the Bible. I thought a lot of it was symbolic. As I grow and learn more about life and what is beyond, I understand that a great deal is quite literal ! Thanks for raising the point !

    ReplyDelete