Monday, May 12, 2014

The Devil's Baton

We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one. 1John5:19

It would be so great to say right now that the "whole world" does not mean everyone. It does not, in this case, refer to the Church. Time for a Venn diagram to illustrate this wonderful exception. But we won't talk about that now.

This little verse tells us who is really controlling things. Don Barnhouse used to say, "The devil is not trying to make an evil world, he is trying to make a perfect world without Christ." We all know how terribly he is failing at it. Instead of a perfect world with a few defects, it is a Devil's world with a few bright spots.

But we may say there are many people who are very nice, even though they are unbelievers. Much beautiful music, art, and literature is in the world. Trouble is, these works and many of those who created them are going to die.

I don't mean just the first death, but Eternal death in God's incinerator called the Lake of Fire. The righteous will perish too. This "neighborhood" is not only dangerous, it is fatal. Despite his efforts the Father of Lies cannot give you eternal life.

My, aren't I pessimistic today! Yes, for I am a member of the most pessimistic religion on earth--Christianity. Does this shock you? I hope so. For classic pessimism is a world view, and Christianity offers no hope for the world.

The Original Liar is like a car salesman who sells cars that always kill their owners. Any color you like, nice seats and stereo, but some day it will kill you. Since I was saved as a teenager, my biggest struggle was to learn to give up on the world and seek life and happiness in the next world. I thought the salesman's car would last forever, then realized it would kill me.

Has this made me a bitter or unhappy person? Not at all. It has brought me the only real peace I have ever known, and the joyful anticipation of the life to come.

What about the one with the baton, conducting the music for a doomed world? He may seem to have paused as the church makes way for a wonderful world. But his tragic opera is not over yet. This has just been the overture.

1 comment: