Sunday, July 27, 2014

I'm a City Boy, I'll Survive

And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians Acts 7:22

Paul answered, "I am a Jew, from Tarsus of Cilicia, a citizen of no ordinary city. Acts 21:39

There is, in some circles, the idea that the less a Christian knows, the "purer" he or she is. Knowledge, it is said, corrupts.

Following this logic, a person with Appendicitis and in need of a surgeon should forgo a doctor with a medical degree. What you really need is a country boy with no knowledge at all. He is so "pure" he won't even need to wash his hands before he pokes around with an unsterilized kitchen knife.

"It's in here somewhere, whatever they call that thing." Anesthesia? Anatomy? Don't trust 'em, that's "book learnin'".

No one would make such a choice. Yet people are misled by ignoramuses all the time in spiritual matters. Not just unfit preachers and teachers, but mothers and fathers unable to teach their own children.

But aren't I always harping about super intellectuals?

Yep, I am. Intellectuals who would substitute human knowledge for an understanding of God's Word. There are two ways to go off the road--left or right--either ignorance or a false knowledge.

What then is the middle road? Get good men to teach you, then check them out, just as the Bereans did.

These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so. Acts 17:11

Checking up on Paul!

Just as the more you know about automobiles, the better you can understand when the mechanic tells you about your car. In this case, the answer is to "search the scriptures daily". If this were done more often, many "mechanics" would stop trying to sell you antifreeze for your air-cooled car engine.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. When I left the church I was attending I started reading the Bible on my own. I with other Christians, such as my husband and my uncle, who are wise in the word. Every day, Iearn more and morefrom reading the Bible and become more mature in Christ.I even have daily devotions and prayer time with my Downs Syndrom sister. I feel so free.

    ReplyDelete