Thursday, February 26, 2015

Tomb of the Misunderstood Soldier

But whosoever loves God is known by God. 1 Cor. 8:3, NIV

Not being understood is the subject of much humor. "My wife doesn't understand me," etc. Yet it is not humorous at all. How many of us live our entire lives without anyone really knowing us? It is said that if we have one true friend we have done well.

Through genetics and circumstances, I was not understood by my parents. I had no career dreams, except for being a hobo and seeing the world. My mother called me her "ugly duckling", after the story by Anderson. I am not sure I qualified. I still can't swim, but I am ugly.

I imagine a couple visiting the tomb of the Unknown Soldier. After taking pictures, one of them suggests visiting the tomb and park of the Misunderstood, both soldiers and civilians.

"I don't think we'll have enough time," the other says. "I hear that, like Nineveh, it takes three days to cross it."

But we can cheer up. Remember the inscription on the Unknown Soldier monument: "..known only to God."

No comments:

Post a Comment