Sunday, December 16, 2012

I'll Tell You a Secret

Here goes--I'm tired of being improved. Please leave me alone for a while. You see I've been climbing this long hill called life. I need a rest. It would be so wonderful to listen to what God is going to do, without me. I would like to be just a spectator for a time.

I know that if we all get out the vote "We can turn this country around". Also, I've been told my church can reform America. If we pray enough and give enough money things will be wonderful. But I told you my secret. I am tired of hearing it. Maybe that is why I find refuge from it all in the Bible.

"But isn't the Bible the great book of how to improve yourself?" some will say.

Oh, it's in there, but huge sections of His book are about what God will do without our help, and what he has done already. Even someone sitting and watching can learn it, and revel in it. It is, after all, His action, not ours or mine which will bring it all about. Guess you could say I am weary of man-centered theology, of gold lame' jackets for ushers (we need them) or even bigger, paved parking lots.

Now you know my secret. I wasn't there when God created the world and all the living creatures. He did it without me, or any of us. I know I need to shape up. But just let me rest awhile and think about the wonderful works of God. He made the world, and He will clean it up.

And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see, the salvation of the Lord, which he will shew to you to day: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen to day, ye shall see them again no more for ever. Exodus 14:13

No comments:

Post a Comment