Thursday, December 13, 2012

Unholy Relics

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. Psalm 51:5

There seems to be a belief abroad called "the age of accountability". This is it. Up to age twelve, your sin nature does not count, you are innocent.

Billy Graham gave a speech at the Murrah site in Oklahoma, to memorialize those who had died there. In his words all the children in the child care center will go to heaven--in fact already have--because they were under the age of twelve. People applauded.

I contrast this with a scene I witnessed at a lake where baptisms were being conducted. A number of adults were baptized until there was only one person left. He was an eight year old boy. The pastor explained that he did not usually baptize children at that young an age. But this boy had an understanding of his sin and wished to be baptized. He was.

I was so touched by the boy's understanding. Is original sin a truth, even if we do not like the doctrine? If it is, where did we inherit the belief of a twelve year age of accountability?

From Jesus as a child at the temple I am told. I do not see the connection. The Bible says nothing about such a thing. Guess I have turned a lot of people off, as the saying goes, but what is our guide in this matter? Shall we follow a man, even a very good man, or the word of God?

I believe Jesus died on the cross for children too, even those under the age of twelve.

No comments:

Post a Comment