Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Plugging in the Christmas Tree

As a child, my big day was Christmas day. Nothing unusual in this, except that it was my only gift day. Birthdays at my house were no big deal. A cake with candles after the evening meal, maybe a dime store gift--nothing memorable, believe me. Forget guests, party favors, etc.

So I am, to this day, not a birthday party guy. I feel they just inflate little egos and reward them for no reason. To me, the party should be for the kid's mother. She carried him and brought him into the world. Her ego should be inflated, and she should get the gifts.

So Christmas was the one day of the year when I got gifts. My parents were very generous to me on this day, and I was always excited. On Christmas morning, when it was still dark, my older sister would come into my room to wake me up. I still remember the sound of her voice. We would go downstairs in the darkness. My teeth would be chattering from the cold and the excitement. I had the honor of plugging in the tree lights and revealing all the gifts beneath the tree.

I no longer observe Christmas, though I do honor the birth of Jesus, even in July. Soon I will take a short nap, asleep in Christ. Like all the Christians who have died, I will awake, not to a Christmas tree, but to heaven itself. What of gifts and rewards? I only know of one for sure, a crown given to all who love His appearing (2 Timothy 4:8).

No comments:

Post a Comment