Thursday, July 25, 2013

Jesus Said, "Do Not Touch Me."

Jesus sayeth unto her, touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: John 20:17

Jesus touched many people with his healing touch. The hem of his garment could heal. Yet we have in the Gospel of John the admonition not to touch him. He further says why not--"for I am not yet ascended to my Father:"

In my early days of Bible study I found this passage baffling. What had ascending to his Father got to do with not being touched? Later, Jesus says, "handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." )Luke 24: 39).

There are those who see a difference here between being touched by a man or a woman. But this is only true concerning when he was to be touched. Scripture tells us that Our Lord appeared to women after his resurrection. Yet we need to see the office of High Priest he was yet to perform.

It was hard for me to grasp that Jesus was yet to ascend to heaven to offer his blood for our sins. His blood in heaven, and not poured out on the ground of Golgotha! But there is a temple in heaven where His offering was made.

When this idea was presented to me, I balked. The wonderful book of Hebrews tells us about Jesus, our High Priest in heaven. Before He ascended He was a consecrated vessel, set apart, not to come in contact with a woman until He ascended on high. So we know He fulfilled the Law, acting as our Priest, as earthy men only anticipated.

When we see him again, He will be our King.

No comments:

Post a Comment