Saturday, November 2, 2013

Dr. Doctor, the Exalted One

But be ye not called Rabbi: for one is your master, even Christ. Matt. 23:8

And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted. Matt. 23:12

I knew a drunken artist, a man who crumbled away. This fact may discredit his utterances to many. Yet years later I find his words have proven true. He said, "Take any religion, as propounded by its originator, and sooner or later it gets turned upside down."

Now I do not believe the church has been turned upside down, but certain precepts of Jesus have been ignored, in fact reversed and violated. An associate pastor told me, after he received his doctorate (in communications), that his Doctorate really boosted his career. "It even helps get my car repaired more quickly," he told me.

When the head pastor of the same church finally received his doctorate, he proudly wore his doctor's robes in the pulpit. This after he warned us that "Too much learning can make you constipated with knowledge"! He, apparently, was immune to such a condition.

Now I can hear some protest that I do not understand or appreciate the effort involved in attaining such a high degree. Not so. Please go out and get as many degrees as Luther had. Paul was renowned for his learning, as was Moses. That is not the issue at all. It's the assumption, even flaunting, of titles that is very unbiblical.

Imagine people bowing down to Paul and kissing his ring. Imagine anyone calling him Master or Rabbi. He would not have it.

I know that there are orders that teach humility as a primary virtue. Often, I hear, they are overseen by an individual entitled Mother Superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment