Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Girl Who Cried

...and his name shall be called wonderful, counsellor... Isaiah 9:6

The pastor admitted that his interpretation of this passage could be wrong. But he said, What if there were no comma in the text? So he would say "wonderful counsellor." God listens to us. We can confide in him.

A girl sat with her mother, listening to every word the preacher spoke. He told of a lady who found her daughter's diary open to a certain page. She had written an unspoken letter to her mother.

"Mom, I know how you work so hard in the kitchen, sometimes hours, to make us fancy meals, and I do appreciate it. But I desperately need to talk to you. If you would just sit down with me. I wouldn't care if we just had toast and tea, instead of a big meal. If only we could just talk."

The lady and her daughter sat off to my left. I glanced their way for some reason. The girl, about sixteen, was crying. Tears ran down her cheeks. She made no attempt to wipe them away. The sermon had hit home. I hope the mother understood. It would have been so good if they had that tea and toast, and the talk the girl so needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment