Thursday, November 13, 2014

David is Dead, David Sleeps

Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. Acts 2:29

I don't expect everyone to believe this. None of the immortal soul people will. The Bible speaks of us as bodies, either alive or dead--either eternally alive or eternally dead--eventually.

Jesus makes this plain:

Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:54

It is hard to evade this message. No "intermediate stage".

To those who feel that at death we go immeadiately into the presence of God, David has this to say:

For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks? Psalm 6:5

Again, I expect these verses to have no impact on those who believe in an immortal soul. So why talk about them? I have no job assignment to convert anyone to anything. What I try to do is show that something is true according to scripture. I feel that these verses are a powerful witness to death and resurrection. That is why I write them here.

As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness. Psalm 17:15

No comments:

Post a Comment