Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Present for Eglon - A Study for a Little Boy

My experience as a little boy was that the Bible was for sissies. It apparently taught you just to turn the other cheek. Meanwhile WWII was raging and we were not turning any cheeks. I thrilled to the story of Samson, to me, a great warrior.

My wife's aunt told me that as a child, she was thrilled to hear of Jesus braiding a whip and driving the money changers from the temple. Suddenly she saw a different side of Jesus, and she loved it.

So, I propose a little story (imagine it taught in a Sunday School class!) fit for a little boy.

Mothers love their sons as no one else does. But many of them have no idea of the war-like tendencies in a little boy's heart. But should we not work to eliminate it? In time, the Bible will do just that, but for little boys just starting out, their masculinity needs nurturing. Trust me, I've been there. First a man, then a gentleman.

I consider kittens the cutest of all animals. But how long will it be before they begin to practice fighting? It is in their nature because it needs to be.

So here is my little boy Bible story.

But when the children of Israel cried unto the LORD, the LORD raised them up a deliverer, Ehud the son of Gera, a Benjamite, a man lefthanded: and by him the children of Israel sent a present unto Eglon the king of Moab. Judges 3:15

A present, how nice! A lefthanded man will deliver a "present" to Eglon.

But Ehug made him a dagger which had two edges, of a cubit length, and he did gird it under his raiment upon his right thigh. And he brought the present unto Eglon king of Moab: Judges 3:16-17

And Ehud put forth his left hand, and took the dagger from his right thigh, and thrust it into his belly. Judges 3:21

I have left out some details, in case you are eating. But this man, an assassin, was sent by God. We need to hear of God the lion, as well as Christ the Lamb.

No comments:

Post a Comment