Saturday, June 1, 2013

Grandma and the Giants

The Nephilim were on the earth in those days-and also afterward- Genesis 6:4, NIV

My grandmother was a very devoted Bible person. Trouble is she had no one to share it with. Her only son was an athiest all his life. He was very intelligent and wrote a book still available on coal-tar dyes. He was a world wide expert on dyes. But he scoffed at the Bible, leaving his mother alone in this regard.

The church she attended was a ceremonial one. But through the radio ministry of M.R. De Haan she studied the Bible, though in solitude. As I grew into young adulthood she attempted to share her beliefs with me.

"You know the Bible says there used to be giants on the earth...." I thought it was just legend and smiled. Poor old lady. I still tried to judge the Bible by scientific standards. I had years to go before I judged science by God's Word.

It was much later when I learned of great scientists who embraced the Faith. Who would think that Sir Isaac Newton today would be considered a fundamentalist? There are many more, to this day. But such men will not be published in any "peer reviewed" journals. I have come to understand that "peer reviewed" means, "Believe as we do, or you are an outcast."

As I emerged from the fog of partial belief, I found that much of scientific discovery is concealed from the public. A young person in the Faith is limited to debunking false science because facts supporting true science are relegated to museum basements not open to the public.

Believers try to prove creation by disproving evolution. This is such a negative way to contend for the truth. Thanks to the internet truth is coming out all over the place. Through word studies and paleontology and archeology discoveries, the giants are back!

A naive believer, like myself, can save much grief by just believing the Bible. But for those who, like Thomas, need evidence, it is now there in abundance.

Dear Grandma, how I wish we could have studied together. It would have been so sweet.

Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed." John 20:29, NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment