Saturday, June 29, 2013

Some Other Grain

And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or some other grain. I Corinthians 15:37

I never feel closer to Paul than when he uses earthy images. This passage is from a wonderful chapter. It bridges the gap between what is really deep, and what everyone understands.

Today we buy our bread from the store, except for those wonderful people who bake their own. Almost no one sows wheat. But everyone knows that one little grain must be buried to become many more grains. Paul uses such an unmistakable image, one that no one can misunderstand.

But now I want to ask, Why does Paul say, "or some other grain?" We may ask why not just quit with wheat?

Today, we understand. But there was a time when people fastened upon each word as something to possibly worship. They became fixated upon the symbol, instead of what it should represent. Does this sound extreme?

I think of Ceres, the goddess who gave us the word "cereal". I suppose no one understood the pagan mind better than Paul. There is a lesson in Bible interpretation here. Don't get hung up on the symbol. Rather see what it teaches.

I see Paul as saying "or some other grain" to tell us not to think of a type of grain. Any grain can serve as an example. The important thing is, some day you will be resurrected. Your old body will be gone, and you will have a new one.

I love the truth about resurrection and our new lives. Soon, I expect to experience it.

No comments:

Post a Comment