Saturday, March 22, 2014

Waiting for the Lord to Relieve the Evils

But the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Psalms 37:13, NIV

I guess waiting is one of the hardest of all things to do. I have been waiting oh so long for the tables to turn, for the onslaughts of the Evil One to be taken from us.

There is someone I have in mind, whose energy is waning. We talked of how in this life we are being tested through ordeals and losses. She has endured terrible traumas, beginning in childhood with molestation from her father, two rape attempts, in one of which she was able to identify her attacker by voice. For she is blind.

I understand some of her struggles in these traumas, including the recent death of her best friend. There is little I can do for her, but listen.

Yet there is a worse suffering I know of where I hope that I can help. For as long as I have known her, about four decades, I realize that she does not feel close to God. Rather she believes that God has not chosen her to be one of his. I believe that the psychological influences on our faith are underestimated and often even ignored.

Many believe that if they quote the "right scriptures"--perhaps the famous "Roman Road-- that there will be an instantaneous conversion. An old proverb says, "He laughs at scars, that never felt a wound." If we could just get to know people as individuals. Try listening that is not followed by preaching.

How many times I have heard "helpful formulas" directed towards a person with no concern for their personality or history. We are not spraying plants, where one treatment works for all.

I split up with a girl friend because I found she had no interest in getting to know me. To her I was a "Ken doll" for her Barbie Play Station.

How long must we take to get to know someone in order to help them? I believe as long as we live. As new things happen to them, we should be faithful for life.

What about my downcast friend? I am still working on it.

2 comments:

  1. I too am working on it. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my most favorite phrases, "I'm workin' on it."

    ReplyDelete