Wednesday, May 20, 2015

O Sola Scriptura

Forgive me for mixing Latin and Italian, but this doctrine is something to sing about. And who could put it more plainly than Luther. And who could sing it better than Italians? This wonderful doctrine of "Scripture Alone" has freed people from religious oppression like none other.

Now let me say that the Catholic church never burned anyone! They just had the secular authorities burn people by threatening them with hell if they did not. Supposedly this absolves them from guilt in the matter. For no one hates the Protestant doctrine of Sola Scriptura more than the Roman Catholic Church. It is worse than the Declaration of Independence was to the British Empire. Imagine, bypassing the authority of the church hierarchy, even the Pope himself!

I saw an article online, "Invitation to Anarchy", that describes how some look at this blessed declaration of freedom. Two views are at war here--Tradition, and Rebellion Against Tradition. So far, numerically, Tradition is ahead, and I am sure will remain so. But I know which horse I am betting on, comes time for the Judgement Seat of Christ. We are free in the Word, yet we still allow ourselves to be bound with the cords of our own making.

Returning to my horse analogy, kick off the traces. Rely only on the Word for doctrine. It will never let you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment