Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Last Enemy

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
I Corinthians 15:36

Maybe I told you of the following experience. I was teaching a class of really nice people, when I read these words. You could hear them gasp. They were shocked. What, death an enemy! I thought it was understood that death was an enemy. But maybe a kind of spiritual miasma had clouded their minds.

Animals sure know it is, and when an animal gives up its life, say for their young, it means a great sacrifice. It is an awful thing to say, but so many, many, Christians live in a fog of unreality, that it makes an old believer like myself want to take an "atheist break"--maybe reach out to someone who digs reality, wrong as they are.

Of course, death is an enemy. And why do I say so? First of all, because the Bible says it is. Isn't it awful that one has to even offer proof?

In my case,which is like a candle about to sputter out, I think of all the people I wish to go up with to meet Jesus when he comes. But seeing all the death that I have seen, and anticipating my own, I fervently long for the death of our last enemy, death, and the grave. Such a wonderful promise God has given us.

No comments:

Post a Comment